The first time I made a lattice top pie I just fooled with the strips until I got them in a somewhat matched pattern. Since that time I have learned my way to make the perfect looking weave. If you'd like instruction click here and it will take you to a youtube video that shows how to make your lattice top the proper way.
pie (I use Pillsbury)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of cardamom
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste.
- Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom. and bring to a boil.
- Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan.
- Fill with apples, mounded slightly.
- Gently pour the sugar/spice and butter mixture over apples Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Place lattice top over pie.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F. Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.